The 10th Quarterly Challenge is over, so it is time to start thinking about the next one!
Challenge #11 is “The Way You Wear Your Hat” – The headwear challenge!
Anything you can put on your head counts, OTHER THAN WIGS (there is a separate challenge for that). Historical hats, Lolita headbands, Maleficent horns, fairy crowns…you name it!
Running dates: April 2016 – July 2016
The rules of the challenge are:
- Challenge #11 starts April 15, 2016 and runs till July 1, 2016. Your submission piece must have been FINISHED within the time period of 4/15/2015 – 7/1/2016.
- This challenge focuses on a specific piece, in this case something you wear on your head (other than a wig). It can be part of an outfit, but your submission will be judged by the headpiece, though pictures of how it completes a whole outfit are always nice.
- 75% of the headpiece must have been made or majorly modified by you. 25% of the piece can be purchased/sourced/thrifted by you (for example you use a thrift store hat as a base for your creation). We want to see your crafty creativity!
- The piece cannot be a duplicate of a piece that is advertised in a store unless the store outfit was an inspiration and yours is radically different. No knock-offs of other people’s work, please! Everyone is entitled to their own ideas, and we want to see yours – not a copy of someone else’s. (Cosplay and historical recreations do not necessarily fall under this guideline if you are trying to reproduce a character/persona.)
- Contestants can sign up at any time. Simply send your name, the kind of costume you are creating, and a valid email address to Laura via Email any time prior to July 1st. Please do not enter via Facebook private message, or on the page – too many submissions get lost this way. You are not required to enter a challenge to join the Facebook Group, but it is encouraged!
How to Submit Your Challenge Entry:
You need to submit 1-5 photos and a description of your creation to Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight CST on July 1, 2016. Costumes posted in Facebook comment sections will not be counted as part of the challenge—they must be submitted directly to Laura via email to qualify. Along with your photos, include your inspiration for the piece, what outfit/event/etc. you created it for (if any), any problems you had to solve, any new things you tried and any creative solutions that you came up with. Photos are VERY IMPORTANT and can make or break an entry. Judges like to see costumes on actual people, if at all possible. Cute poses are fun, but make sure you have at least one full front shot so all the details can be seen. Include close-ups of specific details you are proud of.
Limit of two (2) entries per person!
Contestants can share the progress of their outfits on their blogs or on the Shear Madness Facebook page, but it is NOT required. However, please do not post entries in their final state on the Facebook page until after judging is complete.
The judges will review the entries and the winners will be announced on July 5th, 2016. There will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners, as well as honorable mentions as chosen by the judges. All winners will be given a Shear Madness logo with their winning placement for display on their blog/website, and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will also receive a Shear Madness prize.
International winners will need to contact Laura to arrange shipping to their country and may need to cover the cost of postage if they wish to receive a physical prize (or you can opt out of the physical prize. You will still receive any digital badges or awards free of charge).
All winners (including the Honorable Mention winners) will have their creations featured in the header on the Facebook group page from July 4 to October 4, 2016.
HAVE FUN! This is not something we want you to agonize over. This is to be a fun and inspiring challenge for you as a costumer to help you grow and express yourself. And if the entire thing doesn’t get finished? Oh well! Share or submit what you have. We just want to see what you were working on!
If you have a question about an outfit concerning it’s suitability for the challenge, or questions about what qualifies, send Laura an email and she will let you know.
All submissions must be FINISHED within one year of the start of the challenge. So the “Way You Wear Your Hat” challenge is open to costumes COMPLETED between April 2015 and July 2016. It doesn’t matter when you STARTED the outfit – the main focus is the FINISHING date!
- “The Decade Challenge” – This is for all you historical folks out there! Any decade can be represented, up until 1970. Should be a complete look, from the undergarments on out to the accessories.
Running dates: October 2016 – December 2016
- “The Big Top Challenge” – Calling all clowns, ringmasters, tightrope walkers, sideshow performers, and miscellaneous circus performers! Whether a historically accurate outfit, or something completely from your imagination, as long as it fits in a circus, it can be entered here.
Running Dates: January 2017 – April 2017
- “The Underwear Challenge” – Show us your costume undergarments! Have a frilly underskirt, a fabulous corset, a unique pair of knickers? This is the challenge for you! Running dates: May 2017-July 2017
- “The UpDo Challenge” – This is for all you crafty wig wranglers! Anime, historical, anything goes. Enter your amazing wig transformation here!
Running Dates: August 2017 – October 2017
- “The Anything Goes Challenge” – In honor of our 3rd Anniversary of Shear Madness Challenges, you can enter any costume you wish in this challenge. The only caveat is that it needs to be a complete costume – headwear, wigs, undergarments, outfit, right down to your shoes.
Running dates: November 2017 – January 2018